Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Curried Egg Salad with Mango Chutney



Getting ready for the week takes lots of planning.  I like to make lunches that I can easily put into to-go containers throughout the week.  Egg salad definitely fits into that category!  This is a new recipe I tried from Simple Recipes.  I cut down on the chutney and added some celery to reduce the sweetness.  Plus, the cilantro lover that I am, I can't resist adding it to dishes for an extra twist.  

The initial inspiration came from one of my favorite dishes that I periodically order at a local tea shop.  This recipe comes close, but not quite.  I will have to continue to tamper.  I hard boiled the eggs by bringing water to a boil then placing the egg in the boiling water.  After about 12 minutes I remover the eggs from the water and rinsed them in cool water to prevent them from cooking any further.


Curried Egg Salad with Mango Chutney

 
6 hard boiled eggs, peeled
1/3 cup mango chutney
1 1/2 tsp yellow curry powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs mayonnaise
1 Tbs chives, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
cayenne for taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
lettuce or raw spinach
cilantro for garnish




1. Do the prep: chop celery, dice chives.

2. Place peeled, hard boiled eggs into a medium sized bowl and roughly chop by taking two table knives and slicing them accross the eggs. (To make a finer egg salad, you can use forks to press against the cooked egg pieces to break them into smaller pieces.)
 

3. Add the mango chutney, yellow curry powder, salt, mayonnaise, chives, celery, black pepper, and cayenne to the eggs. Mix until well combined.


4. Place lettuce or spinach on place and serve the curried egg salad on the bed of lettuce.  Sprinkle chopped cilantro on top. 


Note: If you're making appetizers, just get some gluten free crackers from the store and spread the curried egg salad on the crackers, then top with a touch of cilantro. 

No comments:

Post a Comment