Saturday, June 4, 2011

Shout out to GF Steel Cut Oats!



Multiple times a year during my childhood, my parents would pack up the car, stuff the kids in the back seat, and we would take a two hour drive to visit the grandparents who lived on top of a mountain in the southern foothills of the Appalachians.

Many times for breakfast, my grandmother would prepare steel cut oats for breakfast and we would garnish it with fresh fruit, cream, and brown sugar...of course, when you are a kid you frequently attempt to see how much sugar you can put in your breakfast and get away with it.  At the grandparents' house it's pretty much all the time!  


apricots, oatmeal and coffee

When gluten was cut out of the diet, so were steel cut oats since all oats at the time were processed in the same facilities a wheat.  Within the past couple of years, it has changed!  So now, it is just so pleasing to me that I can have a big bowl of oatmeal without the worry!   I reminisce about breakfast at grandmas while eating a warm breakfast with fresh, seasonal fruit, and now with much less sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment